I love reading the "You know you're a triathlete when..." but honestly, they don't all refer to me because I don't have all the fancy gear and I've only done one triathlon. I'm a beginner. So in honor of that, I decided to make my own one, including everything I've felt.
You Know You're A Beginner Triathlete When...
10) You run out of sports bras and socks before anything else in your wardrobe.
9) You don't want new heels, you want new running shoes.
8) An hour-long game of softball or tennis isn't considered your workout for the day.
7) The accessories you're interested in purchasing include cycling gloves, a heart rate monitor and a sports bra.
6) You drive and actually notice hills on the road, always thinking how tough/fun each one would be to do on your bike.
5) Your mom tells you, six weeks out, that you're getting a new tri outfit for your birthday and you brag to anyone who will listen.
4) You don't covet your best friend's new car, you covet her new bike.
3) An evening of endless pool laps, an hour of reality TV and a short run actually sounds like an enjoyable one.
2) People ask you about your training or triathlons, you talk until they get bored and change the subject.
1) You can't imagine not doing triathlons, and you've only ever done one!
So there you have it. My list. How many relate to you?
Just an update:
Today, I decided to do some laps in the pool. I did:
- 150m warm up
- 300m tempo (took me 6 minutes, which is great time!)
- 700m base
- 300m tempo (7 minutes)
- 150m cool down
It was one of those days that you get in the pool and just know it will be a tough day.
Then, after some dinner and TV, I bought a watch (because I need something to time myself these days) and went on a short run. I wanted to go two miles, but I felt so sick after one that I stopped. I wanted to do a tempo, but my first mile was a disappointing 12:30 mile. And, I almost threw up. I'd eaten about an hour before, so I think that was it. And I really haven't felt well since...
Maybe I shouldn't have taken three days off in a row?
11 months ago