Sunday, March 8, 2009

What a week!

I had a run on Saturday, so I was tapering off. I was going to take a normal off day Wednesday, short, light run Thursday, off Friday and race Saturday. Someone had other plans...

Wednesday was fine. I took off work early to catch up on the extra hours I worked this past weekend and Monday, but I had to keep calling people on this tip we got about a shooting.  No one answered or called back.

Thursday, I get to work, get that story and everything's great. Then my boss gets yelled at for 20 minutes about it (we didn't really do anything wrong), and so I'm told to drop everything and get one hell of a story.  I was at work until midnight (I go to bed at 11, latest), and worked a 13.5 hour day. The following day, I go into "overtime" at 9:35 a.m., two hours after I arrived at work. The other two reporters went into overtime Thursday night and all three of us worked a 16 hour day Friday.  We should be getting comped for the overtime, but I'm not hopeful, really. Anyway, in two days, I barely got a minute to myself. I ate out of the vending machine or fast food (about one meal a day) because I didn't have time for anything else. Literally. I got home after midnight Friday and had to wake up at 6:30 a.m. Saturday to make it to my race on time. Oh, and I didn't get a chance to run Thursday. Needless to say, I was not so ready for the 5k...

I got there in plenty of time to get my stuff and relax.  Kayle was there before I was, but we had to wait on Nick. He ended up getting there way to late for me to be comfortable. I wanted to get pictures and make it to the starting line to stretch and relax and get ready. That didn't happen. Instead, I got no pictures and had to run to the starting line (I almost threw up then from the running and the adrenaline).  I was tearing up before the race started. (Remember, I'm on five fewer hours of sleep in two days than normal, and I'd been nauseated and on the verge of crying for about 36 hours because of all this and I was furious.)  When I heard the gunshot, I started running, but literally almost just got off the course because it was the last thing I wanted to do right then. But, I kept running, I mean, I paid and everything.  I walked some and ran slowly, I guess, because I came in at 39:20, which is my worst time yet.  It was really windy and a little hilly, but I was disappointed. I understand that things beyond my control made it so I was unprepared, but still, I mean, really.  How does it get slower?  I'm pretty sure I walked more in Feburary...

Well, after the race, they served us a nice breakfast with lots of food. I had a busy day (after my nap) yesterday, but today has been chill and great.  It's absolutely beautiful outside. I can't wait to make more of each day now!  Hopefully, work won't interfere too much...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow you have been one busy girl and for you to complete that run is an awesome accomplishment. So I say Job Well Done. What matters is that you finished it and didn't quite. Now hopefully you have caught up on your sleep some and feeling a bit better.