Monday, September 14, 2009

Speedy Gonzalez

On Friday, I took a four hour lunch because I was covering a Sept. 11 ceremony that evening. During it, I did a motified, shorter version of the brick I outlined before. I went biking for eight miles, two mile run, bike for five and a little bit more running after. Took me about two hours. Guess it will have to do.

Saturday I worked and walked a good amount with that and then drove to Norman in the rain. Nothing too terribly blog-worthy, except that I ate like crap all day and consequently felt like crap. Funny how that works, huh?

Yesterday was the first day of my "weekend," so it was mostly a chill day with the boyfriend. Nothing to report. Took a rest day since I'm tapering and all.

Today, however, I woke up and went running. I decided to go three miles as a tapering distance, but since it was "only" three miles, I decided to go fast. See if I could beat my fastest run and keep a decent pace for the three miles. Guess what? I did it in 33:30! (My fastest run, if you remember, was my first in just more than 35 minutes.) I got tired after the first half mile or so at that pace, so I slowed a bit and kept getting bursts and then slowing down. Finally, with about a mile to go, I told myself I could go fast for one mile because I didn't need to leave any energy left. I sped up and really rocked it. That was probably my fastest mile yet. It felt good...and I have to say, three miles fast is more fun that five miles slow.

So even six days out of a monster (to me) triathlon, I can still have mini victories. I've had a lot of running victories lately, and that's just happy. I don't think you ever feel ready for a race, and I'm honestly not where I wanted to be in my training with only days before the tri, but I will be able to do it. I will be able to finish. And that, my friends, is all that matters.

3 comments:

tri_al said...

six days!! nooothing! congrats on the run pb too, just what you need before the race, a little extra confidence :) look forward to the race report!

Kayle said...

um you saw kayle the first day of your weekend. that was noteworthy! geez. :)

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Nice way to get some nice work in. You hit it right on the head, you will finish, and thats all that matters.

What are your offseason plans? What do you want to do next season?

good luck this weekend!!! Any other sub goals besides just finishing?