Sunday, September 27, 2009

Post-race plans

Some of you guys have been asking me what my plans are for the off-season. Well, for me, the off-season isn't here yet! I'm planning on racing the Tulsa Run with my sister (and maybe my friend) in October. It's a 15k, and the longest I've ever run solid is 5 miles, so we've got a long way to go in five short weeks!

This week, I've taken off and not worried about it too much. On Thursday, Darla, Justin and I went for a three-mile run, which was a nice run. I think we're planning on running again today, but I'm not sure how far. Darla is considering doing to Tulsa Run, too. As some of you may know, I'm moving...again. I've accepted a job about two hours from here (but closer to Nick!), and I'm really excited about the job. Not so excited about packing everything again! Anyway, I've started the packing process, and I plan to move next week. I'm not sure how much running I'll get in next week because I'll have packing, finishing everything at work, and I've already made plans for half the nights of next week to do things uniquely in town. Basically, this is one of those times that life will have to take precedence over training.

When I do get settled and finally ready to train for real (I will run next week, but it might not be as consistent), I plan on doing it four days a week. Two tempo days, one long run (which will increase each week) and one day of sprints/speed training. I also want to get one day of cross training in as well. I'm thinking something along these lines:
M - Tempo (also increases from three to five, maybe?)
T - Long run
W - Rest
R - Tempo
Weekend: One sprint/speed and one cross training

It's so hard for me to be consistent on the weekends (between traveling to see Nick, him coming to me and us going to Tulsa, it's hard), so getting one of each in at some point in time seems best.

What do you think of the plan? Solid? Needs work?

I'm not worried about the amount of time it will take me because basically, I know I can be out there for 4.5 hours (proved that the other day!), and I know it won't take me that long. I'd like to be able to run the whole thing, but I don't know that I will be able to. That's OK. I can always tackle it again in the future if I want to. During the last year in training for triathlons, I've come to realize some of my expectations for myself are not always fair. Coming from a non-running background, it took me a long time to get where I am, and progress isn't always as fast as I'd like it (or even expect it) to be. And, it's not always as fast as it is for other people. I'm me. If I can run it, fabulous, if I walk some, that's great to. I never imagined I'd be able to or want to run the Tulsa Run ever. The fact that I'm confident I'll get it done, one way or another, is amazing.

The pressure is on, however, because I'll be running it with my older sister. Everyone in my family says I'll do it faster because of my endurance, but being the older sister, she might strain herself to beat me. I'm not sure she's ever lost to me, and I can't imagine she'll like it much if it happens...basic sibling stuff.

No comments: