Friday, August 29, 2008

Double trouble

Our first attempt at doubling up failed (sorta).

Our second, however, was successful.

Let me tell you the story.

The other day was our first day to double up. We had decided to go to the lake (separate from working out) so we took our bikes and running shoes to the lake before taking a nice dip in the water. It's a 9-mile bike path around the lake, or so we thought.

We ate some Subway before heading off on the track, figuring we'd ride 9 miles and then run a little. About a half-mile into it, we see Louie's, a popular bar in Norman, at Lake Hefner, so I joke about how we could be like my parents, who frequently take long bike rides and then stop and have a beer on their way home. The longer we ride, the more appealing a ice cold beer sounds and the more tired I get. I'm looking forward to being off the bike, seeing that we have another 2 miles or so to finish...when we see it.

A loop. Not a continuation to where we started but a tiny loop that brings us back where we came from.

We had no choice but to turn back and do it all over again. I was unhappy. There's no way we only had gone 4.5 miles and I'm pretty sure we didn't go 9 miles, so I'm not sure how long that path actually is. We're guessing we rode around 14 miles.

About 2 or 3 miles until we make it back, we try to get off the bikes and run a little, but we were just ready to get back as soon as possible. It was hot out by now. I was to the point, for those who know me, where I needed an entire bottle of water poured over my head...except that I drank all the water we had. I don't particularly handle heat well.

The trip took us about an hour and 45 minutes. We never ran. That ice cold beer turned into a frozen margarita and an entire glass of water. It was glorious.

And then we couldn't find a place to swim, sadly enough, so after a minor off-roading experience, we went back to my pool in Norman and swam. It, too, was glorious.

So, we tried swimming and running yesterday, and it was fairly successful. We did it at least. And less than 12 hours later, we got up and biked as well. My legs are tired today, but they'll live. I'm enjoying the training. Working out again has been nice and I feel really good.

Until next time...

No comments: