Sunday, September 14, 2008

Bout time, huh?

Wow, a lot has happened. I went to Tulsa earlier this past week, and my dad asked me how the training was going. I told him "not very good, actually." Here's the deal. I haven't really been pushing myself with the riding much. It seems like we always have to do those in the morning for some reason and then its a short ride through neighborhoods...nothing too exhausting. (We need better bike paths in my town! Tulsa is nicer in that respect.) The place I'm pushing the most is running, but I don't feel like I'm getting any better. It's just hard and not fun and I'm not very good at it.

While in Tulsa, I went running with my parents. We went 3 miles, but of course, I didn't run the whole time. It took 45 minutes, plus our warm up and cool down. I was pretty proud of that time though. Both my parents kicked my ass, which is a little embarrassing considering they are 30 years older than me. The next day we went bike riding. We decided to take it easy because no one felt well that day. A friend of mine came along. He hasn't biked in years. We went about 10 miles and it took us about an hour. It was a nice ride. I really enjoyed myself. It was leisurely and nice (for me, not so much for my friend). I told them I want a bigger challenge when I come in October. Don't worry, they have it for me.

Also, for my birthday, my parents bought me a bike seat and helmet, so I can be more comfortable and safe, and I got running shoes with money my gramma gave me (and they gave me a blister!). I'm all set...just about.

I talked to my parents about training, too. I got mixed opinions on how to best improve my run, so I might try a combination or trade off or something. I'll talk to Kayle. Mom said I needed to tell myself I was a runner, instead of saying I hate it and suck all the time. But I'm not a runner. I am a triathlete. A triathlete is way more badass and let's face it, easier for me to imagine myself. So there, I'm a triathlete.

Kayle and I haven't been able to work out together in more than a week. I was out of town, then Thursday just didn't match up, I had to leave again Friday for a funeral so we didn't have time then. Tonight we're going to run. I'm actually kind of excited about it.

We really need to "hit it hard" in the next couple of weeks because I feel like we've gotten off track already. I think we should pick a triathlon too, so we have something more concrete to work toward.

I feel like this post was scattered, but I had a lot of time to make up. I'll try to give more specific training details in the next few weeks as well!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

C'mon, if J. Lo can do a triathlon so can you. A triathlete does sound more badass than a runner. Am I a biathlete? You can take that a couple different ways, but you know what I mean. Keep it up baby. You'll be so proud of yourself and look hot at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Hi there..
I want to thank you for posting a comment on my blog. It's nice to hear from others that are fitness oriented. You too seem to have a lot of motivation and determination to accomplish your goals.
I know running has always been my so called down fall. No matter how hard I seem to try to can't get to were I want to be. I tried running on the treadmill and that lasted for a bit until my knee started hurting. That meant that Brad, my trainer, know longer wants me to put a lot of pressure on it so I am stuck doing the stationary bike and other things that don't put pressure on the knee. There always seems to be something getting in my way. You know what thought, I am not a quitter and I have a feeling you aren't either. You can do this and in time get to be were you want to be.
I'll be checking back to see how your doing.
Keep up the great work. You can do this and before you know it we will both be triathlon champions.
Take Care and Be Well...
Most of all be patient with yourself. Good things do take time.

Jessica said...

Mom, are you saying I don't look hot now? I beg to differ.