Monday, December 8, 2008

Not my most favorite run ever...

I went running today. I skipped yesterday AGAIN to hang out with Nick. This long distance thing is tough because I find it hard to tear myself away to train. He's not a big runner, I find.

Anyway, the run today. I wanted to push myself to 2.5 miles, of hills, so I could "rest" (while still training some) before my run this weekend. The past couple of weeks, I've been able to push myself a half mile extra, so I figure it I can run a solid 2.5 miles of hills...I should be able to run 3.1 on race day. Well, today wasn't good. When I wasn't dealing with the hills, I was dealing with Oklahoma wind...never to be messed with. It was just tough run. Some are better than others, as you probably know. Before I hit the 2 mile mark, I started feeling a little nauseated. Nothing too terrible, so I pushed through it. At this point, I wasn't even able to lip sync along to my music, which isn't good. I turn the corner to head up the hill. Now, the wind is at my side, but hard to compensate for nonetheless. This hill is a bitch, btw. I wanted to make it another half mile, so I kept running. "Just keep running, just keep running..." I say, "Once I get up this hill, I can walk," but then fool myself and push it a little farther to actually make it to the 2.5ish mark. I'm getting really nauseated at this point. I've never gotten sick from working out before, so I pushed. If I had stopped just 1/16 of a mile earlier, this probably would have turned out differently. Then, I got that "awesome" metallic taste associated with almost vomit. But I made it to the 2.5 mile! And then I threw up...anyway, I'll spare the rest of the details, except that then, I had to walk a half mile home...without water, a paper towel or a tooth brush!

I'm not really sure why it happened. I wasn't coughing. I hadn't eaten too much or too little. I had a heavy Mexican dinner the night before, but it was 18 hours previous. I'd had cereal for breakfast that morning. It was around 1:30 p.m., but I usually go that long without eating before a workout because that's just how my schedule is. I had some water that morning, but not too much. Coffee at 9:45 that morning. The weather was great, besides the wind.

Basically, I'm now really concerned about trying to run 3.1 miles if I throw up at 2.5! It's less than a week away! Eek!


Kayle said...

don't worry about it guapa. throwing up is like a rite of passage. =) welcome! haha. come race day, your adrenaline will kick in and you'll run the 3.1 just fine.

Rob said...

With all that you have going on you sure did well in my eyes. I still haven't been doing any running but I was told that getting sick in a run like that is common, so NO worries!
keep working hard at it and as I can see you are doing great on all your training.
Are you still doing the Tri in April?
I sign up for mine next week and I am already nervous as hell about what is to come. Looking forward to it though and the feeling of crossing the finish line.