Monday, August 24, 2009

Defying gravity

Warning: If you don't like those posts about how someone turned lyrics of some song to fit them and it gave them all this inspiration, you probably won't like this post. Enjoy my next one instead. Otherwise:

So, I've spent a ton of time stressing and worrying about my upcoming triathlon (27 days!). I'm terrified. I won't lie. I'm in deep...

But. I'm not in over my head. And if I am, I'll find out. I'm crossing that finish line...or they are picking me up on the side of the road. This revelation came this weekend. First, on my way to Dallas to visit Kayle, I was talking to my mom, and I was saying how I really was in over my head and should have waited until last year. Trying to give me that option, she mentioned that I might be able to switch to a sprint (which would still be the longest tri I've done). My immediate response was "No, I'm doing it." Yes, I probably should have waited, but I didn't. Mom always taught me to follow through with my first commitment, even if something better or more desirable comes along. Well, Mom, that stuck. I'm doing it. The fact that it was so immediate in my head and rather inconceivable to switch gave me hope.

Secondly, on my way home, I was listening to the Wicked soundtrack I took from Kayle, I started listening to one of the songs...and I really felt it applied to me. It gave me inspiration. I'm defying gravity...or I will in September.

"I'm through accepting limits 'cause someone says they're so. Some things I cannot change, but 'til I try, I'll never know! ... I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down!"
Fortunately, I have a very supportive cast (get it). I'm really the only person telling me I can't do it. I'm the one giving myself the limits. Saying I can't do this. Everyone else is telling me I can, actually. I say, 'I'm nonathletic and will be competing against really serious athletes here.' But I have to try. As Kayle said before our 33-mile bike ride: "If you're not in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?"

Then later in the song:
"To those who'd ground me, take a message back from me. Tell them how I am defying gravity. I'm flying high, defying gravity!"
This part may make me sound a little crazy because I have to talk about talking to myself. One part of me is saying "No, silly, you can't do this. Stick to the sprints." Well, I need to send the message from the other half of my brain, telling it, "Hey, we're doing this. Something amazing. Something unbelievable. Believe it. We're doing it."

This post sounded (slightly) less cheesy in my head yesterday. Either way, I've found my pre-race pep song.

I'm defying gravity!

And for your viewing pleasure:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the lyrics to this song! They fit perfectly. And don't worry. You've got this. You've been training hard, and adrenaline and your will of iron will carry you the rest of the way! I'm assuming you're doing the half? I'm ultra-impressed. I'm panicking about my measly sprint coming up on Sept. 13, the week before you. Like you though, I'm there and I'm finishing. You are my inspiration! And you'll do great.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I think we all panic about any race we are in.

I like your attitude, showing some grit and toughness.